Devotion for Friday, April 17, 2020
From: Karon Brosey
Good Afternoon Everyone…
Some might say it’s hard to think that in the midst of all that is going on – all that is wrong with the world at this moment in time – that there would be reason to celebrate anything!
My son, Colin, who is employed as an Agent of the Geek Squad for Best Buy, is buying his first house. His settlement date is scheduled for April 24th. A reason to celebrate, right? Of course! Except, on Wednesday afternoon he got a phone call saying that Best Buy would be furloughing their employees. Take back the confetti & balloons, “Welcome Home” signs, and cancel the cake, right? Wrong!
It certainly isn’t the way he planned things to happen, nevertheless, it puts a bit of an unknown kink in plans for the near future. He can apply for unemployment; and I pray the process isn’t a daunting task that will make him feel like he is sinking in quicksand at a very slow rate. So many people are in the same situation, having to use the same agency to assure they have a source of income.
Now – all that being said – it was this very situation that gave me the source of my devotion for this week. In the middle of all this uncertainty, the one thing that Colin – or anyone else in any other scenario – CAN celebrate are the PROMISES OF GOD!!!
Definition of promise as a noun: a declaration or assurance that one will do a particular thing or that a particular thing will happen. As a verb: assure someone that one will definitely do, give, or arrange something; undertake or declare that something will happen.
God’s word is filled with so many promises, and He is faithful in fulfilling them. And because He is a God of action, those promises are blessings and gifts He does, gives and arranges for those who believe in Him. As a child, and then as a Sunday School teacher, I recognized the importance of memorizing Bible verses. Growing up when I did, people my age didn’t have a cell phone at their side at the time. We needed to know those verses by heart so when trouble came our way, we could pull it up in our memory – not look it up on a cell phone – to help us cope with whatever we were experiencing at that moment. It has brought me great comfort many times over the years to be able to say those verses in my mind, or even out loud, knowing the promises from God were something I could count on to get me through! You can count on them, as well.
Here are a few of those promises, along with Bible verses to back them up.
God’s Promise That He Loves You Unconditionally / Romans 8:38-39 –
(38) “And I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from God’s love. Neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither our fears for today nor our worries about tomorrow—not even the powers of hell can separate us from God’s love. (39)No power in the sky above or in the earth below—indeed, nothing in all creation will ever be able to separate us from the love of God that is revealed in Christ Jesus our Lord.”
God’s Promise That You Are Never Alone / Psalm 27:10 – “Even if my father and mother abandon me, the Lord will hold me close.”
God’s Promise That You Are Protected Psalm 121:5-8 –
(5) “The LORD himself watches over you! The LORD stands beside you as your protective shade. (6) The sun will not harm you by day, nor the moon at night. (7) The Lord keeps you from all harm and watches over your life. (8) The Lord keeps watch over you as you come and go, both now and forever.”
Exodus 14:14 “The Lord Himself will fight for you. Just stay calm.” (I love this verse!)
God’s Promise That You Have an Eternal Home In Heaven / John 3:16
John 3:16 – “For this is how God loved the world: He gave his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life.”
God’s Promise of Plans for Your Life / Jeremiah 29:11 –
“For I know the plans I have for you,” says the LORD. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.”
God’s Promise for Strength Through Faith / Philippians 4:13 – “For I can do all things through Christ, who gives me the strength.” (This is one of my favorite Life Verses that says it all.)
God’s Promise to Hear Your Prayers and Deliver On Those Prayers John 14:13-14 –
(13) “You can ask for anything in my name, and I will do it, so that the Son can bring glory to the Father. (14) Yes, ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it!”
Philippians 4:6-7 – Philippians 4:6-7 –
(6) “Don’t worry about anything; instead pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank Him for all He has done. (7) Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus.”
God’s Promise of Hope / Philippians 4:8-9 –
(8) “And now, dear brothers and sisters, one final thing. Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise. (9) Keep putting into practice all you learned and received from me – everything you heard from me and saw me doing. Then the God of peace will be
May you find love, safety, strength and hope in God’s word, and hold them dear to your heart!
GOD’S PROMISES ARE
Love To All Of You!!!